Thursday, March 12, 2009

knit, purl, purl, knit, purl, purl, knit


so I have taken up knitting... again. I know it has recently been the "cool" thing to do, but I was knitting long ago to start. I was taught to knit by my mom when I was a kid, probably around age 9. but despite starting early I was only knitting squares, or rectangles, or long rectangles, and not very well. I started again about 5 years ago... my mom got me started on another long rectangle (scarf) for the boyfriend of the time. lets just say it took me so long that in the process we broke up, got back together a year later, and then broke up again and it was still not done.
currently I have a few coworkers who knit so I got all inspired... for my first project I did a hat- perhaps that sounds ambitious, but suddenly it all kind of made sense! (and the fact that I have all sorts of people knitting around me when I got stuck on the second stitch- which I did)
how come I had only heard of 'knit' and never 'purl'?! I demanded of my mother (yes, there is a difference)

I don't know... but it seems to be working. the picture included is not the first hat, but the third. watch out! I've started early on christmas presents. I have also made a pair of matching slippers. yes, matching! a pair! I have broken the bank already on wool and I seem to be a little ADD about it all and can't resist having 3 things on the go at once.

1 comment:

Miss Biliana said...

cute! funny, we both hat posts this week.