Wednesday, May 8, 2013

run/walk

This last weekend was the Vancouver International Marathon. GK and I had signed up for the half, and my dad for the full. My dad is big on traditions and anniversaries and has done this marathon specifically every 5 years for 30 years.

I'm no runner and doubt I ever will- but GK and I walked the half in 2008 and here we are again in 2013. I walk a lot but having to keep up the pace for nearly 4 hours is hard. I complained bitterly many times but GK was always a step ahead (motivation) and patiently let me sulk quietly when I was getting a bit down on things. It wasn't all bad! The course was different for us, the weather was stunning, and the walk through the city was not grueling. We beat our last time by 1 minute! Clocking in 21 km at 3:45:57

There was something pretty awesome about coming down that last stretch and the crowd is cheering and we crossed the line in sync.

Meanwhile, dad soldered on in the full and completed the race also doing very well. Circa 1983 I remember sitting on a curb in gastown waiting for him to run by. We've stuck a deal for 2018, but I think I did so on the high of actually finishing another marathon... I'm sure by then I'll have forgotten the sore muscles and my premature old lady joints.

Thank you and proud of GK and my dad!








1 comment:

pscm said...

BRAVO! WAY TO GO KIMMY!