Thursday, March 13, 2014

Skies Painted with Unnumbered Sparks

So all this talk about Janet Echelman... its culminated in something very special. When I was researching our trip to Phoenix in January, I realized that she had that piece there, and the second I saw it I searched out her website to see what else she had going on.

This led me to realize 2 things:
1. that I had seen her work before and never realized it- there is a smaller piece at the Richmond Oval which was installed for the Olympics. I had even been there and stood under it. Years ago. Even before I saw her work in Amsterdam. And...
2. that she had an upcoming project in Vancouver connected to the 2014 TED talks.

I have been connected to the arts for most of my life, and over half of it as a student, employee and maker of things in this field. I see a lot of art. A lot. But I had not felt excitement over anything quite like this in years.

On a whim I wrote her an email telling her I loved her work and I was so excited that she was coming to Vancouver. Little did I expect that she would write me back personally to say thank you, but that this would be my lead in to actually be a part of this mammoth installation. This last Sunday I stood out on the sea wall with a group of friends and other volunteers late into the night and were on site pedestrian control and docents. I got to meet Janet. We were there for hours watching the, albeit, slow transformation of the water front. But it was worth the wait.

The end result is a must see. Please go and experience it. I can post a million photos and it will never do it justice.


Skies Painted with Unnumbered Sparks, 2014
March 15-22, 2014
Located suspended above the street and water between Canada Place, Fairmont Hotel and the Convention Center
See it dusk to midnight







No comments: