Wednesday, April 30, 2014

enterprising women

Right place right time- a couple months ago I popped into their space while waiting for the shop next door to open: 
Enterprising Women Making Art (EWMA) run through Atira Women's Resource Society in downtown Vancouver. They have a little store front where women from the downtown east side can make and sell their crafts and art. They also have a workshop studio space as well, and after going in there and chatting, I volunteered to teach a book binding class for them. Today was the first time in 4 or 5 years I collected my supplies, went shopping and made a lesson plan to teach a class. Over 2 1/2 hours I made books with 7 different women. Some people were in and out after whipping up a single book.  Some stayed and decorated in detail. One was quite wary of what we were up to but in the end stayed and made a second book, just the 2 of us. It was a really great afternoon.  They asked me back to teach again in May. 

I love making things by hand and the experience working around a table with others. This simple book is satisfying to make as the end result is quick, and impressive even for the novice. And the fact is, it is something that I have made myself and sold to help fund things in my own life. I hope the ladies enjoyed the day as much as I did. 



No comments: