Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Maritiem Museum Rotterdam

I've been a bit under the weather since I've been back in Rotterdam so this morning I moved pretty slowly (again) and then made my way into the city center.

The Maritime Museum wound up being practically next door to the tourist info so I decided that was the best bet.

They covered all shipping of all history from the netherlands- that's explorers, commercial, passenger as well as mapmaking. The mapmaking was kind of a high-light as I have always been interested in maps, and it comes in handy on all travels- contemporary wandering exploring vacations (like this).

Also they had a whole section on immigration and that includes my family too. The library there is open to the public on Fridays and apparently they have archived passenger lists- so that would be really cool to see.

They also have an old ship moored outside which was like stepping into the past- it was curated including taxidermied rats!

The only downside for me is that my head was already foggy and there were no less than 6 children's birthday parties going on and at least 3 teen groups and the place is built like a big echoey ship so it was obnoxiously noisy.

No comments: